Of all the items within the Special Collections unit of the Harvey A. Andruss Library, one collection has undoubtedly the strongest personal connection to Bloomsburg and Columbia County — the images taken by photographers from The Morning Press.
First published on March 1, 1902, The Morning Press mainly featured photographs of national news events during its first three decades. These wire service photos were joined by local images in 1936, when the newspaper began to employ photographers who used cameras that produced large black-and-white negatives, either 4-by-5 inches or 3-by-4 inches.
Although reused occasionally, most of the images were seen just once and some negatives were never printed or published. Even so, all were saved, placed in envelopes and stored away. The first set of negatives, approximately 20,000 taken between January 1936 and January 1958, eventually made their way to the helicopter hangar of Press Enterprise owner Paul Eyerly III, where they were stored in two filing cabinets and sometimes pulled for use in special publications. Press Enterprise is the successor of The Morning Press and the Berwick Enterprise.